I am very excited to share the news!
Whole Living just launched six new One Whole Minute instructional yoga videos on the website. Whether you are new to yoga, or a season practitioner, these videos can help you hone your technique.
The videos, which we filmed a few months back, cover the following topics:
1. My favorite restorative version of Supta Baddha Konasana, or reclined bound angle pose. For this, you’ll need a bolster (or blankets rolled up into a bolster) and a yoga blanket. Not only is this a fantastic hip and heart opener, but an amazing ankle release. As a New Yorker who’s constantly darting around, my poor ankle joints take a beating. This pose has been a savior.
2. Kapalbhati, or front lobe cleansing breath. This hatha yoga cleansing technique not only expels toxins from the lungs, but also boosts concentration. Only practice on an empty stomach, preferably after asanas. Please see my recent blog on this technique.
3. DIY Mat Cleaner: A slippery yoga mat = danger. Learn how to remove that precarious film from a new mat. Use same method to wash older mats.
4. Tadasana, or mountain pose. Tadasana is the one posture that informs almost every other yoga pose. Not only will refining your tadasana help your posture on the mat, but off as well.
5. Sarvangasana, or should stand. Savangasana is considered the queen of all yoga poses. Learn how to safely practice this inversion with the use of blankets. If you have never practiced this inversion, please do it under the supervision of an instructor at first.
6. Need help balancing? This video explores the 4-pointed foundation of each foot. Understanding how to properly distribute your weight through this foundation can transform all one-legged balancing poses.
If you have further questions about these techniques, ask them here! Also, comment about any yoga technique you want to learn more about.
Sophie Herbert is an alignment focused yoga teacher (and perpetual student), a singer-songwriter, and a visual artist. She has lived, studied, and volunteered extensively in India; teaches yoga in Brooklyn and Manhattan; and recently released her first full-length album, "Take a Clear Look." Please visit her website at SophieHerbert.com.