Our April issue is making its way to mailboxes and newsstands near you, and you know we had to do something big in there for Earth Day. This year, Mindy Pennybacker gives step-by-step instruction for all those green projects you've been meaning to get around to tackling--including collecting and using rain water and composting your food scraps. Below, some of our favorite products for both.
And what's your Earth Day resolution? Share it here, and you could win the great T-shirt from the story shown above!
Putting one of these guys under your gutter downspout can save an average of 1,300 gallons in the summer alone!
1. Kentucky Bourbon Rain Barrel, $190; Kentucky Barrels
2. Casata 65-Gallon Rain Barrel, $199; Home Depot
3. Eco Rain Barrel, $210; My Green Mind
4. Octagon 54-Gallon Rain Barrel, $140 each; Clean Air Gardening
5. 70 Gallon Wooden Rain Barrel by Exaco Trading Company, $254; Home Depot
Produce peels and scraps, clean egg shells, bread, pasta, cooked rice, coffee grounds, tea leaves—all of these can turn into good, rich compost easier and quicker than you might think with these ingenious indoor and outdoor options.
1. Valentina (shown painted), $300; Priscilla Woolworth
2. Black Composter by Envirocycle, $170; Amazon.com
3. 3-Tray Worm Factory by Cascade, $90; Green Depot
4. PRO XE Compost Bin, $399; Nature Mill
5. Tumbling Composter by Suncast Corporation, $98; Home Depot