Spring is in the air! Pack these seasonal cookies in a picnic lunch or enjoy with a cup of your favorite tea. They're lovely plain or filled with your favorite cream cheese icing or the vanilla icing recipe below.
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Cookie Sandwiches
1 ½ cups Authentic Foods Multi-Blend Gluten-Free Flour (or your favorite gluten-free flour blend with xanthan gum)
1 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1½ teaspoons EnerG Egg Replacer
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread (room temperature)
4 oz. jar Organic Earth’s Best Carrots baby food
4 tablespoons finely grated and chopped organic carrots (about 2 medium)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup Azukar Organic Coconut Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients, flour through salt, and set aside.
3. In the bowl of stand mixer, mix the buttery spread, baby food, carrots, vanilla, and coconut sugar. Beat until creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Lower the speed to “stir” and add the dry ingredient mixture, a half cup at a time, scraping the bowl throughout. Mix until thoroughly combined.
5. Split the dough in half and pat each into a ball. Place the dough in the mixing bowl and refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
6. Transfer each chilled dough ball to a lightly floured piece of parchment, top with another piece of parchment, and roll out to just under 1/8-inch thick.
7. Cut the cookies with a 1 ¼-inch-round cookie cutter (ideally fluted) and gently transfer to parchment-lined cookie sheets. (They will not rise or grow so you can arrange them closely.)
8. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool. (The cookies will continue to crisp.)
Vanilla Icing for Sandwich Cookies
4 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
8 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread, at room temperature
1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon lemon juice
¾ cups confectioners’ sugar
Pinch of salt
Pinch of powdered ginger
1. Beat the coconut oil, buttery spread, vanilla, and lemon juice at medium speed until creamy. Add the powdered sugar, salt, and ginger. Beat until smooth.
2. Spread or pipe the icing onto one of the cookies and sandwich with another. Enjoy!
Nancy Kohler is a career woman, wife, and mother recently diagnosed with multiple food sensitivities. Shortly after her diagnosis and foray into the world of allergen-free cooking she decided to document her cooking journey in her food blog, The Sensitive Pantry. All of her recipes are gluten-free and many are also vegan and free of eggs and dairy.