Spend your lazy Sunday baking these delish brownies. We promise you won't regret it.
Rich and Chewy Vegan Gluten-Free Brownies
Adapted from "The Best Vegan Brownies Ever"
1/4 cup rice flour
1/2 cup non-dairy milk, such as almond
1/4 cup millet flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 to 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used a dark cocoa blend)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Flaky sea salt for tops of brownies (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Oil or line a 8-inch square pan with parchment.
3. Combine flour and non-dairy milk in a saucepan over low heat, stirring often, until it becomes paste-like. Remove from heat; set aside.
4. Mix remaining flours, starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, sugar, espresso powder, cocoa, vanilla, and oil. Add the rice flour-milk mixture and stir well. Melt 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips and stir into batter. Then add the remaining chips and walnuts, if using. The batter will be quite thick and glossy.
5. Spread the mixture in the prepared pan, flattening it with your fingers. Scatter some flaky sea salt across the top, if using.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you like slightly "crusty" edges, bake for 22 to 25 minutes. Cool in pan (it's worth the wait if you can resist!). Store in an airtight container.
1. I use a generous 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar, but if you like sweeter brownies, use 3/4 cup.
2. Skip the dark cocoa (just use natural) and espresso powder for a less intense chocolate experience.