Do you “borrow” those plastic shower caps the hotels give you? We all do, right? Why else would the hotel staff put them out with the mini bars of soap and tiny bottles of shampoo? With the unofficial start to summer behind us and lots of barbecues and picnics on the horizon, here’s why you should pack a shower cap for your next barbecue.
- Shower caps make perfect covers for picnic foods. Slip the cap over the bowl of chips or hot dog buns to keep bugs out! Oh and caps easily slip over a cut watermelon, too.
- Shower caps will keep salads chilled, really. Just fill a cap with ice cubes then slip it around the base of the bowl. The food will stay fresh even in the heat.
- If your barbecue includes a dip in the pool you can keep wet bathing suits from dripping in your tote bag. Wrap the wet suit in a cap before tossing it in your tote bag.
- Turn your non-waterproof camera into a “waterproof “ camera by sticking it in a cap before taking shots by the pool or ocean.
- And if guests are making use of your indoor restroom, keep the mud off your carpet. Place a few caps near the door for guests to use as booties.
- Of course a July 4th barbecue is not the only way to make use of these shower caps. If you’re packing for vacation you can keep your clothes clean. Just wrap shoes in caps before packing them in your suitcase to keep your clothes dirt free.
Here are a few more ways to put the caps to use year-round:
- Cover your kitchen stool with a cap to keep the cushion clean.
- Prevent indoor plant water leaks by slipping a cap around the base of the pot. Or slip a cap over delicate seedlings.
- A cap slipped over your bicycle seat keeps it dry in the event of a passing rain shower.
- Keep your “stuff” dust-free, like a cap over your stand mixer in the pantry or a cap over your purse in the closet. You can poke a clothes hanger through the cap to use as a shoulder dust guard for fancy dresses and suits.
So, dig those shower caps out of the vanity drawer or “borrow” one during your next hotel stay and give these ideas a try!
GOT ITEMS YOU HATE TOSSING? TRY ME!
What other household items do you hate throwing away but aren't sure how to put to good use? I take requests!
Until next time, keep it simple and clutter-free!
Jamie Novak, The World’s Most Relatable Organizer, is author of "Stop Throwing Money Away: Turn Clutter to Cash, Trash to Treasure—And Save the Planet While You're at It." Please visit her website at JamieNovak.com.