Unfortunately, the calendar doesn’t lie. September is looming and the school-shopping season is here. Check out these eco-friendly alternatives to the items on your kids' lists. (Click the "read more" below the slideshow for buying info.)
1. Paper Mate Earth Write, $4, Amazon.com
2. Natural Markers, $6, Clementine Art
3. Classic Binders, from $7, Naked Binder
4. Biodegradable Corn Pen, $2, Grassroots
5. Foogo, $18, Amazon.com
6. Planet Box lunch box, $60, Pottery Barn Kids
7. Color Your Own Snack Ditty, $13, Eco Ditty
8. CleanWell Hand Sanitizer, $12 for 6, Amazon.com
9. Big Peace backpack, $56, Beatrix New York
Also, take a look at my green school supply picks from last year as many of the resources are still top on my list.
Francesca Olivieri is co-founder of sage baby, an online eco-friendly baby store offering everything from organic clothes and skin care to furniture. She also runs a green consulting business; blogs for The Family Groove and Scenic Hudson; and contributes to Daily Candy Kids, YogaCity, Citiscoop, and NRDC’s Simple Steps. Please visit her website at FrancescaOlivieri.com.