Whole Living Daily

Use it Up

Posted by

Don’t feel the need to finish up yesterday’s leftovers right away. Cooked food stays fresh for up to seven days, according to Angela Fraser, associate professor at Clemson University.

See 11 of our favorite leftover-loving recipes.

For help on today's challenge, see our tips on how to eat sustainably.

Tell us if you're up for this Challenge of the Day after the jump.

Tomorrow's Challenge: Turn it Off

Yesterday's Challenge: Smooth Out the Speedbumps

Pledge past challenges here.

Related Posts:

Comments (3)

  • This challenge made me remember when I was a kid in Colorado and we always had lots, really lots to eat. My parents loved steak so we had T-bone steaks all the time. I remember complaining and leaving the steak because I said I'd had enough. My mom, God bless her soul, told me it's a sin to waste food and she told me she prayed I'd always have steak to eat.Well, living on the edge of the Sahara Desert in the land of the Jasmine Revolution, I have to say I don't get much T-bone steak. But, I remember my mom's lesson and can assure anyone who asks that the worst thing that happens to left overs round here is they feed the dog. There is NEVER edible food in the garbage here.

  • Next they will be telling us it is okay to eat rare PORK!!! NOT! Help me Tiny Tim!

    I teach FoodSafe... we teach people to throw food out after 3 days IF you don't deal with it and freeze it in manageable amounts. If food sits in the fridge which gets opened and closed all the time and people pick away at food with their bare fingers, sneaking into the fridge at night for just one more bite of dressing or the "pope's nose"... then it gets contaminated quite easily and many bacteria can live and grow and divide in the fridge at cold temperatures. Listeria bacteria can grow and divide and multiply at -18ºC (0ºF). and the scary part about Listeria bacteria is that they can take from one day to 70 DAYS to make you sick...

    E.Coli O157:H7, Clostridium species, Bacillus Cereus (which is often found in rice) and Staphylococcus bacteria produce toxins which CANNOT be destroyed by cooking and are colourless, tasteless and odourless... staph comes from people and if they get it into the food - let's just say you are picking the meat off the turkey carcass and your nose itches so you scratch it and you don't wash your hands at that point, but merrily continue to get every last bit of the meat off the bones and you put it in a container in the fridge - a nice one with a lid...but while you are picking the meat off the bones the staphylococcus bacteria from your face - and more than 50% of the people have it on them - starts to reproduce and the bacteria which produce toxins, will replicate in the food very quickly at room temperature and then they will still replicate in the food in the fridge too. At room temp bacteria grow and divide every 20 minutes so one bacteria becomes 33.5 MILLION bacteria in just over 8 hours at room temp. And it takes only 6 bacteria of Campylobacter to make you sick. You will know when you have food poisoning from Staphylococcus as you will get quite sick within 1 - 8 hours of eating - diarrhea, vomiting, gas... but you will get better faster than if it were salmonella poisoning - from not cooking your poultry long enough to 74ºC or 165ºF for at least 10 seconds - using a thermometer to test your turkey for doneness. If you get sick from salmonella it can take 12 - 36 hours to show up and you will be sicker longer and it can kill you. And if you have contaminated the turkey with your staph bacteria and not cooked it thoroughly you can have both staph and salmonella food poisoning.

    So the whole point of my diatribe is... WASH YOUR HANDS! cook the food the right temperature, eat the food, put it away within 2 hours into manageable portions in the fridge or freezer for another meal later. If it has been in the fridge for 4 days it goes into the garbage. We are talking about cooked meats, fish, poultry, egg dishes, sauces, soups, salads, stuffing, etc. The only thing that is quite safe is the cranberry sauce as it is quite acidic and has sugar in it so unless you have been dipping turkey bits in it and have been using a clean spoon instead, it should be good for a week. Take a Food Safe course - you will be glad you did. Thanks. AND don't waste food. look up recipes for turkey pie, turkey tetrazzini, turkey and dumplings, Make a double crust, unbaked turkey pot pie and put it in the freezer for another meal in a month - it is so tasty, serve with a salad and some cranberry or red pepper relish and life is good. You can bake it from frozen at 350º F for 1.5 hours on a middle rack in the oven, set a timer and check it every 20 minutes , if the crust is getting dark, cover it with a sheet of aluminum foil. Bake it until it registers 74ºC or 165º F for at least 10 seconds. Buy a kitchen meat thermometer and use it - I have both the ones that you put into the meat and leave until it is done as well as a thermometer that you can just poke into the meat or soup or stew or pie and it is a quick read thermometer that you then wash and sterilize after each use. So the basic rules in the kitchen are:
    1. Don't set the grocery bags that have been in the trunk of your car or the floor of the car on the kitchen counters!
    2. Wash your hands before handling foods and AFTER going to the toilet, talking on the phone, working on the computer, tying your shoes, handling money, coming home from shopping, smoking, eating, picking your teeth with a toothpick or match, eating, handling raw foods, petting an animal, coming in from yard chores, etc.
    3. Be Food Safe - WHEN IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT.
    4. Don't waste food - deal with quickly after a meal and then you will have it for later. Freeze leftovers within 3 days of cooking.
    5. Take a Food Safe course, a CPR course and learn to swim, run, jump and play with your kids and grandkids. Life is good.

  • If you touch any of your body parts,(face, nose, mouth, feet, head, hair, torso, etc) go wash your hands before handling food, add that to #2 in my previous RANT!

Post a comment

Comments are moderated, and will not appear on this weblog until the author has approved them.