I always love a good quinoa bowl. Topped with flavorful vegetables and a solid dressing or marinade, you can't really go wrong. This recipe, adapted from the Miraval Spa's new cookbook, Mindful Eating.
Vegetable Risotto With Quinoa
Makes 3 cups
½ cup yellow onion, diced medium
2 tsp garlic, chopped
1/8 tsp saffron threads
1 ½ tsp extra-virgin olive oil
¾ cup arborio rice
¼ cup Chardonnay
3¼ cup vegetable stock or water
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
½ cup Grilled Vegetables (see recipe below)
2 Tbsp packed shiitake mushrooms, julienned
½ cup packed baby spinach
¼ cup red bell pepper, diced
¼ cup edamame
¼ cup cooked quinoa
2 tsp white truffle oil (optional)
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a medium pot over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and garlic in oil with saffron, stirring, until translucent, about 3 minutes.
2. Add rice and continue to sauté until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
3. Deglaze pan with Chardonnay and continue cooking until the liquid is almost evaporated, about 30 seconds.
4. Add the heated vegetable stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring often and allowing each batch of liquid to almost evaporate before adding the next batch, until the rice is cooked, about 25 minutes.
5. Stir in Parmesan. Add remaining ingredients, except the optional truffle oil (optional). Stir until all ingredients are fully incorporated and the mushrooms are cooked, about 2 minutes.
6. Serve with drizzle of truffle oil.
Calories: 310; Total Fat: 6 G; Carbohydrate: 50 G; Dietary Fiber: 4 G; Protein: 10 G
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp fresh basil, chiffonaded
2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
1 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
1 yellow squash, trimmed and sliced lengthwise ¼-inch-thick
1 zucchini, trimmed and sliced lengthwise ¼-inch-thick
1 4-oz red bell pepper, stemmed, cored, seeded and quartered
1 medium tomato, about 5 oz, stemmed, cored, and quartered
1 2-oz Portobello mushroom, stemmed, ribs removed and quartered
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Make the marinade: Stir together the oil, garlic, herbs, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Adjust seasoning and set aside.
2. Place the vegetables on a single layer on a baking sheet or casserole dish, and roast, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Toss the vegetables with the marinade and let marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. The vegetables will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to two days.
Calories: 120; Total Fat: 4 G; Carbohydrate: 16 G; Dietary Fiber: 3 G; Protein: 4 G
Want more quinoa recipes? Head here.