Melted dark chocolate: It's tempting as it looks and sounds. And for the world’s health conscious sweet tooths, here is your solution, ready to be consumed at any meal or time of day. Believe it or not, this crumble recipe is packed with protein, fiber, and antioxidants. The lightest touch of typically savory flavors make it simultaneously light and luscious. It is crispy, crunchy and doughy in all the right ways.
Surprise Strawberry Crumble
Yield: 2 servings
2 cups fresh strawberries
2 big basil leaves
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons (not packed) light brown (muscovado) sugar
1 tablespoon (small) Cannellini Beans
1/8 cup oats
1/8 cup almonds
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoon honey
16 grams (2 squares of 8 grams) dark chocolate
- Heat oven to 360 F
- In a saucepan, add quartered strawberries with a drop of water (so as not to burn) turning heat on low. Cover for 3-5 minutes.
- With a wooden spoon, make sure strawberries are not sticking, add balsamic, sugar, and basil (finely chopped – julienned). Stir gently to incorporate, without crushing strawberries, and leave on low, uncovered, for about 5-10 minutes, allowing juices to reduce.
- Meanwhile, in a blender add beans. Pulse until smooth. Scoop into a bowl and set aside. Next add almonds to blender, and pulse until mostly entirely crushed, (though a few larger chunks are OK). Add to the beans.
- To the bowl, add oats, extra virgin olive oil, and honey. Mix with a metal spoon until liquids are coating every surface of the dry ingredients.
- Check the strawberries; juices should have reduced, but not completely. Divide evenly into 2 ramekins. Place a square of 8g dark chocolate on top of the strawberries in each ramekin, pressing down slightly. Top with the ‘crumble’ topping. Cover evenly.
- Bake on the middle shelf in the oven for 7-10 minutes (until bubbling and a little golden).
- Remove from oven, and place on a wire rack to cool for 5-10 minutes, allowing juices to set. Serve warm, and melted chocolate will ooze, as promised.
- Replace almonds with walnuts.
- Replace strawberries with blackberries, nectarines, or peaches, or mix any and all of them as you wish.
Can't get enough chocolate? Try this Dark-Chocolate Drizzled Greek Yogurt Bowl.